Monday, November 7, 2016


Election Grace

Usually when you hear the words “election” and “grace” in the context of a pastor’s writings, you might want to duck and say, “Enough with the Calvinist/Arminian debate.”

I wish.

Instead we in the USA find ourselves in a culture spiraling downwards in the death grip of selfish mindsets. Sadly, the Church (God’s people) has done little to abate the indecent attitudes and behaviors.

Anyone familiar with the church I pastor knows I have led and worked to keep decidedly apolitical in our public speech and the culture of The Church at Covenant Park.

I’m not about to change that.

God’s ability to forge unity in the midst of our diversity is way too valuable to waste on something so temporal as political elections.

But as a Teacher and Preacher of God’s Word, I must proclaim God’s call for charitable speech, admirable behavior and noble goals for His people. As His people we should shine light, show love and bring patience into the fray of American politics.

American politics (and I guess any free country’s politics) has always been a rough and tumble blood sport. This is not a new occurrence. Reading a selection of election speeches, debates and accusations since the founding of the Republic requires a thick skin and strong stomach. There are a lot of negative attack ads there. The recent Broadway phenomenon “HAMILTON”* provides a primer on some of our national Founder’s political skill to poison a reputation.

But enough is enough, already.

It’s ironic that various voices from any of the 4 candidate camps are calling for our country to return to its historic roots with a noticeable “and you must agree with us or you are stupid or unpatriotic” attitude.

One thing for certain about the roots of American political thought. There were tremendously strong opinions about the shape, size and scope of government. 2 parties formed around philosophical disagreements on these matters during President George Washington’s terms in office. The Federalist Party (Hamilton and Adams were chief leaders) and the Democratic-Republican Party (Jefferson and Madison were chief leaders) reflected and provided vigorous debate. Passions and beliefs were strongly held, stated and debated. But at the end of the day, there was a goal: a United States of America. The right to dissent was considered a basic and protected right. It was protected freedom of speech included in the First Amendment to the Constitution. But the right of dissent included respect for the Law and the Government. Debate issues, yes; destroy unity, no. Disagree strongly, yes; deny respect, no.

One respected voice gave his indispensible wisdom and wit during the Constitutional debate: “I confess that there are several parts of this Constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them . . . Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die.”

“I sacrifice them to the public good” . . . what a wellspring of rich thought and deep character. It’s called humility. And it issued from a man who is known for his wisdom, common sense and inventive genius. We know him as Benjamin Franklin.

Instead of demanding his way Benjamin Franklin opted to favor the public good; i.e. what is best for the most. Instead of using inflammatory language to hammer home his disagreements, Mr. Franklin spoke healing words to bridge the differences and bring the unity.

What a blessing. On this eve of a Presidential Election, may we pray and work for Election Grace.

*(I'm a HUGE fan of HAMILTON and hope to see it when I can get a ticket without taking out a loan-until then I'm loving the soundtrack and enjoying the book)


No comments:

Post a Comment